Thursday, October 28, 2010

Much better than the Fockers

After a year and half, Bob finally decided to introduce me to his family. We flew to Michigan early Sunday morning and stayed in the Westin in the Detroit airport. We got there around 4pm and were really excited that we didn't even have to leave the airport to get to our hotel. Lisa and Mary, Bob's sister and partner, respectively, picked us up at the hotel and we went to a small little suburb for dinner. They had us laughing the entire time. It was so nice to be around such funny, happy people.
The next day we headed out to Alpena, Michigan....four hours north of Detroit, to meet Bob's parents, Rex and Ruth Ann. As we drove to Lisa's office on our way out, we went past Eight Mile Road. I admit, I was a little excited to be so close to his hometown--and I'm not even a fan! The ride to Alpena was fairly uneventful but Bob and I always have fun on road trips. Especially when there is SIRIUS radio! We found some great tunes and even unlocked what became Andrew's favorite--the comedy channel! Fortunately, the "clean" comedy was much funnier than the raunchier comedy, so we all enjoyed it.
I've gotta say, meeting Bob's parents was a joy. They are so sweet, and of course I'm fond of the fact that Bob's mom was an English teacher and then a librarian. She made a pot roast with lots of fresh vegetables from their garden. It was great. Made me miss my mom and grandmother. We visited a shipwreck museum and then a lighthouse.
We were at the shore of Lake Michigan and Lisa showed Andrew how to search for Petoskey stones. Our trip was short but we drew names for Christmas and I got invited to participate this year. (I'm secretly STOKED about that!)
We had a really good time. Mr. and Mrs. Spurlock were sweet and kind; I just felt...at home.
I'm attaching a few pictures from our trip.


























No comments:

Post a Comment